We offer a number of different workshop programmes for people who want to know about classical gamelan or dance in more depth.
You can choose from half-day (two hours), full-day (four hours) or longer programmes (up to two weeks). Note that a combination (gamelan and dance) is only available as fully-day programme, because there is a lot for us to explain and for you to learn, so two hours is simply not enough time.
Note that if you are on your own, you can only choose to take a private workshop (you can’t just join an already-formed group, or do a drop-in). You also need to book in advance, normally around two weeks’ ahead.
All workshops include historical and technical explanations in either English or Indonesian by researchers and experts. Longer workshops feature slide-show presentations and educational materials. We are only open 9 am – 5 pm Monday – Friday for workshop programmes.
Accommodation, transfers, cultural tours, transport and food are options which can be included in any workshop programme.
– Custom-made programme option
– Natural and relaxed, non-touristic family based setting
– Central location: 10 mins to Sanur Beach, 10 mins to city centre, 30 mins to Ubud and 40 mins to Kuta
– Space to accommodate up to 40 students
– Experts and instructors with research, academic and practical village-based backgrounds
– English-speaking instructors
– Choice of air conditioned studios or outdoor option in natural garden environment
– Full-length dance practice mirrors
– 12 different types gamelan sets, many of them antique
– Professional demonstration and easy to understand explanation
– Electronic study materials
– PowerPoint presentation
– Private performances for large groups
– Refreshments and Balinese snacks
– Swimming pool for cool dip after lessons
– Accommodation option in boutique hotel
– Cultural tour option
– Range of local and international food options nearby.
Contact us for more details about programmes and prices.
Read reviews about our workshops on Trip Advisor.
Some comments from past workshop participants and travel agents:
We all had a safe journey back to Malaysia. Personally I feel like all of you are my family when I in Bali…such a good and valuable experience when we were there…I really enjoyed learning at Mekar Bhuana and of course if there is any chance for sure we are going there again sometime….thank you again!” – Zainal, Adikarma Cultural Group – Malaysia
Our US family group was so chuffed with the half-day workshop…with some of them being professional musicians and dancers, the in-depth explanations were most useful. They can now appreciate the time and energy it takes to learn Balinese gamelan and dance!” – Jan Mantjika, Jan’s Tours, Bali
“The Singaporean students loved learning the gamelan so much, they wanted to try playing on the instruments at the hotel that night. Such an enthusiastic group – I’m sure they’ll be back for more…”– Tanto, Bali Holidays Online, Bali